Michelle Williams Interview


Now that Jerry Springer has finished his stint pulling in the punters, it’s Michelle ­Williams’s time to shine.

The 28-year-old is no stranger to musical theatre: before joining the West End show, the ­Illinois-born singer trod the boards in the Broadway production of Sir ­Elton John’s Aida and toured the States with the Oprah ­Winfrey-produced stage show of The Color Purple.

Despite being a member of the biggest-selling girl group of all time, Williams had to audition: “I love it. It makes me work harder instead of me just waltzing in, like ‘Oh, they just gave me the part’.”

Destiny’s Child had a good-girls reputation but Williams relishes playing bad girl Roxie: “Everybody has a dark side. I am having a blast developing my take on Roxie and who she is to me – that’s been very fun.”

In the last week of ­rehearsals (“hard but good”), she is mastering the famous Bob Fosse moves, a mile away from the loose routines of Destiny’s Child.

“It’s not very easy to do, ­because the choreography is so specific. Often the movements are very small and contained.” Rather, I am ­beginning to notice, like her answers to my questions.

As an aside to thaw the chill, I ask if Williams has ever been mistaken for her namesake, the Hollywood actress. Funnily enough, she has: “I don’t know if we have the same accountants, but I get these bills and I’m like ‘No, they are for the other Michelle Williams – I didn’t buy these $1,000 purses'. Funny things like that have happened.”

LOL! Im sure you guys remember the video on her youtube page where she says "If you dont know who I am,google me!" and the only one who shows up is the ACTRESS Michelle Williams not the singer.